Liposuction is a procedure than can work great for adults of all ages. While it has been around for many years, there are still some misconceptions about liposuction. For instance, some of our patients ask how much weight they are going to lose when they undergo liposuction. The reality, though, is that this procedure is not intended for weight loss. Rather, it is a contouring procedure that reduces specific bulges and adds shapes and shadows to specific areas. Most of the time patients don’t lose very much weight at all. If you are near your ideal weight and want a more tailored, sculpted look, you may love what liposuction has to offer. Here, we discuss what liposuction does and some of the lesser-known benefits it can provide.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a minimally-invasive surgical procedure that is performed to sculpt the body. One or several areas may be addressed with precision. Some commonly treated areas include the abdomen, thighs, hips, bra line, and chin. Liposuction removes fat cells from the treated areas using a small hollow tube called a cannula attached to suction. During the procedure the cannula is moved back and forth through the layer of fat beneath the skin. When the fat is suctioned out, new contours result. As techniques continue to evolve, we are now doing more high definition liposuction, focusing on creating a more toned, in-shape, muscular look. Liposuction is an outpatient procedure that has pretty minimal downtime.
The Benefits of Liposuction
- Removal of fat cells results in improved contours and a more sculpted appearance, creating more harmony and proportion.
- The fat that is removed by liposuction does not grow back. With a healthy lifestyle, patients can maintain their liposuction results for years.
- Reducing the fat in certain areas, like the thighs, can help minimize uncomfortable chafing.
- The aesthetic results of liposuction can help motivate patients to maintain healthy lifestyle habits.
- Patients can see the results of liposuction immediately even with post-operative swelling. Over weeks, as swelling subsides, results continue to improve.
Nothing takes the place of a healthy lifestyle. However, a healthy lifestyle doesn’t always culminate in our ideal shape. If you are healthy, near your ideal body weight, and would like to improve your contours, liposuction may be ideal. Learn more by consulting with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon. Call (817) 335-5200 to schedule a visit to our friendly Fort Worth office.