Who Is Dr. Kunkel?
Dr. Kunkel grew up in Fort Worth. He attended the University of Notre Dame, graduating with honors. He received his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch. During his fourth year of medical school Dr. Kunkel traveled to Basel, Switzerland to study with one of the pioneers of facial reconstructive surgery.
Dr. Kunkel completed training in surgery at the University of Texas Medical Branch hospitals. He won the Outstanding Surgery Intern award in his first year of the five year program. The general surgery training was competitive.
The program accepted 8 interns but only finished 3 chief residents at the end of five years. Dr. Kunkel completed the chief resident year, then moved to Seattle to study burn surgery at the University of Washington Harborview Medical Center.
Dr. Kunkel’s plastic surgery training was accomplished at the Oregon Health & Sciences University in Portland, Oregon. He moved back to Fort Worth in 1994 to begin his private practice of plastic surgery. He is currently certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Awards For Dr. Kunkel
- Fort Worth, Texas Magazine TopDoc 21 times
- Texas Monthly Magazine Texas Super Doctor 18 times
- 360 West Top Doctor 6 times (out of the 6 year history of the award)
- Fort Worth Business Press Healthcare Hero
Professional Society Memberships
Fort Worth Community Service
In addition to his plastic surgery practice, Dr. Kunkel believes in service to the community. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Tarrant County Medical Society, Women’s Haven of Tarrant County (now called SafeHaven of Tarrant County), Southwest Branch Fort Worth YMCA, and Leadership Fort Worth. Helping ensure quality health care for North Texas, Dr. Kunkel has also served on numerous hospital Credentialing and Quality Improvement committees. Dr. Kunkel has also represented local plastic surgeons as an officer in the Fort Worth Plastic Surgery Society and North Texas Specialty Physicians.
Where Does Dr. Kunkel Do Surgery?
(Selfie of Dr. Kunkel with members of the OR team.)
- Andrews Women’s Hospital
- Baylor Scott & White All Saints Medical Center
- Texas Health Harris Methodist Southwest Fort Worth Hospital
- Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth
Ambulatory Surgery Center Affiliations:
- Medical City Surgery Center Fort Worth
- Texas Health Surgery Center Fort Worth Midtown
- Texas Health Outpatient Surgery Center at Ben Hogan Center